Monday, July 19, 2010

The Cupcake Experiment: Results

After setting up the Cupcake Experiment I checked in on my 8 subjects 6 hours, 12 hours, and 48 hours later. (I meant to check them every 6 hours but I'm on toddler time & that's the best I could do.)

For a while pretty much everything looked like this:


No holes.

But late Sunday night, the foil wrapper that was in the refrigerator with the dull (a.k.a Flat a.k.a. matte) side toward the cake looked like this:


You can see 4 or 5 holes, both where the goopy bits of cake were and further out where the foil was touching the cakey bits.

The final results:



(Tenuous) Conclusions:
  • Refrigeration contributes to the corrosive effects of cupcakes on aluminum foil.
  • The shiny side of foil is somewhat resistant to corrosion.
  • It is unclear whether cupcake goopiness is a contributing factor in the corrosion of aluminum foil.
.................OR.....................
  • I royally screwed up this experiment. People smarter than me say that the first holes I found accidentally were partially because of the metal pan.


I plan to repeat this experiment the next time I make cupcakes. This time, however, I'll make a few changes to incorporate the presence of a metal pan into the equation. Any other variables I should consider?

New Questions:
  1. Why is the goopy part of a cupcake goopy (is it the oil/butter thing I mentioned in the last post?) and does that contribute to corrosive properties?
  2. My original assumption was that the Teflon-coated pan had nothing to do with the holes because the holes only appeared where it touched cake, but in my experiment without a pan it took much longer for holes to appear. So did the pan have factor into it?
  3. Less of a scientific questions and more of a paranoid-mom one: Should the holes in the foil worry me at all? I mean, should I be feeding my kids something that burns holes in foil? Or is this just a harmless chemical reaction that doesn't have anything to do with how foods are actually digested or what damage they may or may not cause to little girls who eat them?

No comments: