Thursday, August 28, 2008

Breastfeeding Math: Why Returning to Work and Pumping is a Shitty, Shitty Option

After a long, difficult struggle that I'll save for another post, Kayla and I have finally got this nursing/breasfeeding thing DOWN. What was at first one of the most intimidating aspects of motherhood is now one of my favorite. I won't get into all the amazing benefits of breastfeeding here, but suffice it to say it's a critical part of our relationship, nourishing & soothing her while reinforcing my confidence as parent.

I've spoken to a few women who, after having established a good breastfeeding routine at home while on maternity leave, have had to start supplementing with formula once they went back to work. So as much as I enjoy my job and love my company, I dread being separated from my Treefrog for up to 10 or 11 hours at a time, not only because I'll miss the hell out of her, but because it's likely to damage the nursing relationship.

Let's assume for the moment that the bonding aspect of breastfeeding isn't even an issue. IT IS SO an issue! But let's pretend it's not, and just focus on the nutritional aspects. The goal is to continue exclusively feeding breast milk to baby upon return to work. This is typically accomplished by using a pump.

Consider the following truths:
  1. Milk production is driven by symbiosis. Mom's supply changes in response to the frequency and nature of baby's suckling.
  2. If everything goes well from the beginning, it takes about 12 weeks to establish the milk supply. (KellyMom.com has a great explanation of this process.)
  3. The FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) allows a new mom to be absent from her job for up to 12 weeks total, not necessarily with any compensation for that time.
  4. No pump, no matter how advanced or expensive, is as efficient at emptying the breast as a well-latched baby.
  5. No formula, no matter how advanced or expensive, comes close to the nutritional value of breast milk.
Already there's a problem: Unless a woman works right up until the day she gives birth, she has to return to work within that critical 3-month window that the supply is being established. This is a recipe for failure, as confirmed by my own experiment with pumping & bottle feeding during the day as a "dress rehearsal" for my return to work. These were my findings:
  1. When Kayla is NOT having a growth spurt, she gets hungry about every 3 hours.
  2. When she IS having a growth spurt, she's hungry every 1-2 hours. (Yeah, seriously.)
  3. It takes her about 10 minutes to empty a breast. One breast typically satiates her, she'll rarely take the second if offered.
  4. If I pump for 10 minutes every 3 hours, I get about 2.5 ounces per breast.
  5. If she has a bottle every 3 hours, she drinks about 3.5 ounces before she's satisfied.
This solves the mystery of why these women suddenly had to start supplementing with formula. By pumping only as often as my daughter was eating, I lost an ounce every feeding. Since supply changes in response to baby's feeding, this would end up creating a negative feedback loop and decreasing supply while baby continues to grow and get hungrier and hungrier.

In my case, formula isn't an option because A) there's a strong history of food allergies in dad's family and B) formula is gross and makes my baby smell like cheese.

For each day that I'm in the office, I'll need to spend about 1.5 - 2 hours locked in an office somewhere expressing breast milk in order to keep up with the Treefrog's demand. Not the most efficient use of my time, or the company's time for that matter.

Returning to work and pumping is a shitty, shitty option for all involved.

I've requested permission to telecommute full time, and my boss agreed to a one-month trial of this arrangement. I'm extremely fortunate to work for an organization and a boss so flexible, and I hope I can prove in that first month that it's a viable arrangement long-term. I only wish more moms had such options.

No comments: