Tuesday, November 6, 2012

GameStop, you disappoint me.


When I heard that GameStop was opening new "GameStop Kids" popup stores around the country in time for the holidays, I was psyched! With all the positive attention video games have been getting lately, maybe they're starting to recognize the awesome potential market for games and gaming spaces for younger kids. I imagined browsing shelves lined with video games that might be appropriate for a pre-schooler, like LEGO Harry Potter, or Monkey Quest, or maybe some newer stuff I've never heard of. Perhaps they'd be intermingled with table games and puzzles and all kinds of products that trigger the same kinds of challenges and benefits that many video games do. Awesome!

Turns out most of the products that will be sold at GameStop Kids are game-themed accessories and paraphernalia. In fact, CEO Paul Raines said, "This is really a way for us to take share away from people who are in the toy business."

Oh. Well, not quite what I had in mind, but that could still be cool, assuming you carry products that are unique and fun for kids. So, what kinds of toys do you have?


Really? I mean, I love Doctor Who, but I think the only thing that would interest my child less than attempting to drink from a TARDIS mug would be collecting it. Next?



These things are ubiquitous, I can get them anywhere. I can get them at my grocery store. Next.



It's Moist! Oh wait, no. Next!



Jesus. Ok, I know there are kids out there who have cell phones, but since when is an Android case considered a kids' product?




Obviously this is not a "KIDS" store. I don't even know why they called it that. It is a play for the video game toy market--effectively a way for the business to add to its bottom line without really adding much value.

And it's a shame, because I think there's a market for a store like the one I was imagining. A store that's chock full of games designed just for kids, where you can find not just kid-friendly video games but table games, 3D puzzles, maybe a book of math riddles and some of those iron twisty things that you have to pull apart and put back together without a blowtorch. Some open space for kids and parents to try out the games, maybe some computers and consol stations set up to try out new video game titles. There could be classes and game nights (that start at 3pm) and a chess club that teaches strategy to 4th graders!

I would totally shop at a store like that. Wouldn't you? Come on GameStop. You're almost onto something good.

No comments: