Thursday, September 4, 2008

Girls & Boys According to Catalogs

Some facts about a children's clothing & fantasy/dress up catalog I got in the mail:

Dress-up/Pretend Themes featured:
astronauts, beach, clowns, cowboy/cowgirl, dinosaurs, eco-adventure/rugged terrain, fairy, fire fighter, monsters, pirate, princess, auto racing, rock band, tea party

Total images of Boys in the catalog:
55

Total images of Girls in the catalog:
62

Percent of Girls in skirts or dresses:
87

Themes which featured NO boys at all:
fairy, tea party

Themes which featured NO girls at all:
astronauts, dinosaurs, fire fighters, monsters, auto racing


Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's true. Stereotypes abound!

Personally, I hope that my Amira takes after her grandma a bit and beats up boys and the like. None of this "I'm a princess" crap! (and no I don't wish I had a boy)

I have been trying to keep her out of pink -- but no dice. People keep giving us pink stuff. She -does- look cute in it and all... but she would look cute in anything.

Anyhoo, just dropped in to congratulate you on your newborn! I'm glad you kept up the blog -- I plan to get back to it at some point, myself, but women are wayyyy better multi-taskers than men! :P

My Robin and I wish you all the best!! :D

Bobby