Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Sweet Taste of Rotovirus

Yesterday's pediatric appointment for Kayla went better than I'd expected. After I'd explained the research I'd done and what my concerns were, our doctor was fine with us holding off on pretty much all of the vaccines. When we asked him what would happen if we refused all of the vaccines, he said two things:

First, that he would want to come up with a plan of action in the event of an exposure. I was so happy to hear that instead of something like, "then you'll have to find another doctor."

Second, when it comes time for her to go to school, he told us that he has written notes in the past for parents that refused the vaccine. The note would usually describe the research done by the parent and the reasons for their refusal, and he's never had anyone come back to him saying it didn't work.

He gave us the brand names of each vaccine he has available so that we could look up the ingredients of each of them specifically. In the meantime, we already knew we were fine with getting the drops in her mouth for Rotovirus, so we did that yesterday.

I held Kayla while he squeezed this clear liquid out of a tube into her mouth, which she promptly spit out. Most of the liquid went down her cheeks onto her neck, but the doctor said that was to be expected, and the amount that did stay in her mouth was enough.

It was enough alright... enough to get her screaming her head off. I had never seen her cry so hard before. I asked, "Why is it bothering her so much? Is it just the taste or does it burn or something?" He replied, "I'm not sure, but some babies do cry a lot. It's probably just because she's not used to the taste. Subsequent doses are usually a lot better."

So I did what any good mom would do and licked the remaining rotovirus vaccine off her neck so that I would know exactly what she was experiencing. Had I thought of it, I probably would have asked to taste the stuff before she had any. It didn't burn or hurt my mouth in any way, but it did taste NASTY. It was sweet, but not sweet like fruit or even sugar... more sweet like putting a whole pack of nutrasweet in your mouth and nothing else.

I tried to nurse her but she wasn't having it. I can't say I blame her; I wouldn't trust anyone to put anything in my mouth after that either. But a few minutes later after she calmed down we went outside and she nursed for about 10 minutes and calmed down. She's spitting up a little more than usual today but other than that, seems fine.

1 comment:

JDawg said...

I picture you licking the stuff off of her neck and then proceeding to pick her up with your mouth and carry her around. Mama Lion.