Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Relationship Genetics

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/09/study-for-men-g.html

According to a study published by Proceedings of the National Academies of Science, men with one or more varients of a particular gene are more likely to have relationship problems.

One of the most interesting and terrifying things about the potential for genetic engineering and genetic behavioral decoding has been tapped into by Hollywood in movies such as Gattaca and Brave New World.

They always address it on a macro level. Big government decides your worth after evaluating your genes. More terrifying than this, to me, is what it would mean on a micro level. For example, a woman using the behavior of a man's father to judge how worthy he is of a relationship. ("His father left his mother 10 years ago. He's probably got The Gene.")

1 comment:

JDawg said...

I saw this on the news last night. It was a 10 second piece on channel 9 or something (I need to watch better news, I know). But, it said something about monogamy being in your genes. So, maybe I need to be asking for another type of blood test when I start dating someone?